We Need Your Help!
The AFTD Kids and Teens Website is your site. We need your help to make it a place teens visit often for information and support. Sharing your experiences and finding other teens like you create the heart of a growing community of support. Contributing to the site is a great way to help yourself and others. Video, writing, visual artwork – any or all of them are great ways to connect with others. Take a look at the pages in Teens Like Me and consider sending something in. Please also send us any feedback about the site that will make it a stronger resource.
Stories and Poems
If you like to express yourself in writing, we’d love to hear from you. For ideas on topics you might write about see the guidelines with Video Diaries below. Submit your written piece through the on-line form below. A photo of you, the author, is optional.
If you have created artwork that has to do with FTD or is related to how you cope, we’d love to share it on the website. Send us a digital photo of your artwork (drawings, paintings, photos, sculpture, etc.) along with a short written summary of what you created and what it means to you. Please keep the file to less than 5 MB (a standard picture taken with an iPhone can range anywhere from 400 kb to 5 MB). Also send a photo of yourself as the artist if you like.
Share a personal story about your experience with FTD. Think about what you would like to share that would be most useful or empowering for others. Possible topics include:
- How you first learned that your parent had FTD (what led up to it, how did you react, who did you turn to for support).
- How FTD has affected your family and relationships with your parents/siblings. Please share both the positive and the difficult things.
- How you talk to your friends about FTD. How have they responded? Has anything surprised you about their response?
- How you get support or cope with these changes. What or who has been most helpful and why? If you’re comfortable, give an example of a difficult situation and how you handled it.
- Have you learned anything about yourself because of dealing with your parent’s illness?
- Finish the sentence- What I’d say to other kids like me would be________
Let us know you are interested in doing a video and we will email additional tips and suggestions for easy ways that you can increase the quality of the video you make.
Use the form below for additional questions or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 267-514-7221. For those under 18 years old, submissions must be accompanied by a completed Parental Consent and Release form. A copy of this form can be mailed or emailed to you. Not all submissions received will be posted.